Hence it does not come as much of a surprise that the "Sulmtaler" had already been counted as an extraordinary delicacy at the royal courts of Vienna and France by the late 19th century or that the chicken was capable of yielding triple the amount in proceeds for farmers at the markets.
At that time, the poulterers had their own guild, the "Kapaun-Fratschler" (capon hawkers). They were allotted a subsection of the Franziskanerplatz in Graz for conducting their business, and this area is called "Kapaunplatz" (capon square) to this very day.
Owing to its size and the extraordinary tenderness of its scrumptious meat, the Styrian capon was then renowned far beyond the borders of their homeland and was much sought after, and it happened that a few hundred thousand of them were supplied abroad, where the chicken was consumed at the princely courts all across Europe. In celebration of Napoleon's coronation on 2 December 1804, there were 150 capons and 50 hens ordered from the Styrian authorities beside the other poultry offered, because, as regards quality and taste, the Styrian chicken did not rank behind the French broilers in any way.