© Recipe by Harald Brunner www.haraldbrunner.com
Serves 4-6 people
1 Sulmtaler Capon
2 twigs of rosemary
2 twigs ot thyme
1 twig of marjoram
1/8 lt corn oil
salt, pepper, 2 Tsp of chicken salt
Ingredients red cabbage:
2 heads of read cabbage
1/8 lt of orange juice
¼ lt of red wine
2 sticks of cinnamon
salt and sugar
1 small glass of cranberry sauce
Ingredients chestnut dumplings:
150 gr semolina flour
30 gr butter
150 gr brioche breadcrumbs
100 gr of chestnut purree
Cooking instructions capon:
1) Season capon outside with salt, pepper and chicken herb mixture
2) Season inside with salt, pepper, marjoram, thyme, rosemary and mugwort
3) Fill with apple and orange
4) Heat oil in a big frying pan. Roast capon in oven at 120 degrees for approximately one hour.
5) Baste capon with gravy regularly
6) Increase heat to 180 degrees and roast for another 40 minutes. Then increase heat again to 220 degrees for 10 minutes, so capon becomes crispy.
Cooking instructions red cabbage:
1) Cut heads of red cabbage in quarters and then cut in fine stripes.
2) Marinate with red wine, orange juice, sugar, salt, cinammon and grated apple one day before.
3) Heat oil in a pot, caramelize sugar, add orange juice and red wine and then add red cabbage with spices and cook.
4) Add cranberry sauce and grated apple.
Cooking instructions chestnut dumplings:
1) Heat milk and butter in a pot.
2) Stir in semolina flour until dough does not stick to pot anymore
3) Season with salt and nutmeg
4) Form chestnut purree into small dumplings, cover with semolina dough.
5) Cook in salt water for 10 minutes
Remove crispy capon from oven and put on large plate. Put gravy into a small Saucier and serve with chestnut dumplings and red cabbage.
Please notice: Temperature and roast time depend on size and quality of oven. If necessary, roast capon a little longer.